How to Throw the Perfect BBQ Summer Bash
January 1, 2019
Summer is almost over, so now is the time to get your backyard party on! Throwing the perfect summer bash is an art, so we have put together some tips to help you throw a smokin’ barbecue.
Start with a Theme
The theme of your party sets the tone for the entire event. A theme can be all-encompassing and influence everything from food to décor to your guests’ wardrobe. Or you can follow your theme more loosely, using it as a guide for getting started.
Here are some of our favorite summer party themes:
- USA—Use all the leftover Americana from your 4th of July celebration to enjoy a patriotic evening with your guests, complete with traditional barbecue fare like hamburgers and watermelon.
- Aloha!—Pretend you are getting away to a tropical island with sweet pork, grilled pineapple, and fruity cocktails.
- Movie Night—Set up a plain white sheet and a projector so guests can cuddle up to watch a movie outdoors. Complete the effect with tasty concessions like popcorn and hot dogs.
- Sailors on Land—This nautical theme practically begs for fun details like starfish plates, knotted rope, and seafood. Boat shoes and white pants are encouraged!
- Water Fight—A perfect idea for kids, a water fight party should have plenty of water balloons, sprinklers, and squirt guns.
Create a Perfect Party Space
A popular party trend is creating a lush living space outdoors with furniture, rugs, and other décor. Ensure your guests have plenty of places to sit with clusters of chairs and outdoor sofas throughout the backyard.
One of the best ways to create a party space that feels like an extension of your home is with a custom awning. Covering a patio or deck with a custom awning protects your guests from the sun and adds a cozy, homey feel to your backyard bash. You can even hang decorations on a custom awning to add to the ambience; twinkle lights, balloons, and lush greenery are all great party options.
Don’t Forget Food
The most important part of a barbecue is the food. When you throw a party, think about how the food fits in with the theme, the time of day, and your guests’ preferences. Traditional barbecue food—hamburgers, potato salad, corn on the cob, and all the fixings—is usually a safe bet for a backyard bash. Want something a little more unexpected? Get creative! Try some of these ideas:
- Taco bar—This easy party trick is an instant hit! Give guests the option of soft tortillas or hard taco shells, and all the toppings they could dream of!
- Make your own kabobs—Food on a stick makes for easy eating at a casual get together. Put out a variety of grillable veggies—peppers, pearl onions, asparagus—and meats so guests can spear their food for cooking.
- Finger foods—A mid-afternoon party is perfect for lighter fare. Anything that you can spear with a toothpick or dip with a cracker is perfect for this; think cucumber sandwiches, sausage and pineapple bites, or jalapeno poppers.
Did Someone Say Cocktail?
We know you weren’t going to forget a delicious beverage (or three) to serve your guests. Make things easy on yourself by making a large batch of a cocktail or punch that guests can serve themselves. Finish things off with water bottles, cans of soda, beer, or wine.
There you have it! Now that the party planning is done for you, all that’s left is set a date and invite your guests. Take advantage of these last few months of summer by throwing an unforgettable outdoor party that you can look back on when the weather gets cold.
If you need help creating the outdoor space of your dreams, get in touch with Dorchester Awnings. We’ll give you a free quote on the custom awning that can turn your party up a notch!